LifeStyleWork and Life

My Health My Way – #ApneTareekeSeHealthy

posted by Mommy Tincture September 18, 2017 17 Comments

For a major part of my life, I have been a weight conscious person. In my twenties when I was working –studying-working away from home, I didn’t eat healthily and eating outside every day became a norm. Being younger I didn’t get too affected and I encashed on all the health reserves that my mom’s nutritious food had created on my body.

After marriage having children was an exhausting physical experience and a mental burden. I faced numerous health issues resulting from deficiency of essential nutrients, constant limb pain, hair fall and skin pigmentation to name a few. Added to this was the responsibility to produce enough breast milk for the little one and the stress of managing a job alongside the role of a mother and a home-maker. Above all this there was this constant urge to lose the pregnancy weight which amidst the other problems seemed to be a big task.

After 8 years of marriage and two kids, I realize that health is not just about exercising and maintaining the right weight. A healthy body is also a result of a balanced diet that meets all the nutritional needs. With a lifestyle that calls for eating out in parties or otherwise atleast thrice a week and two kids running around me atleast 14 hours a day, maintaining a healthy lifestyle is as difficult as it is important. The only caveat is that there is hardly any time for exercise and only limited number of meals to balance out the extra calories. Yet I have incorporated some practices that have helped me put down my weight and have ensured sufficient nutrition.

Ensuring Physical Activity

• I run behind my 4 year old boy as he learns and practices on his first bicycle – upto 4 laps of 400m each
  • Walk back alone from the my son’s skating institution – over 2 km every alternate day
  • Kids’ Entertainment – When I run short of ideas to keep my kids busy, I put on some loud music and dance with them atleast for 15 mins everyday.

Eating Right

• For every high calorie meal I have at home or outside, I compensate it with a salad meal the next day.
  • I follow the principal of ‘a kingsize breakfast and popper’s dinner’. My dinner is just meant to keep my hunger glands under control for the night.
  • Focus on Super Foods that provide super nutrition without adding too many calories. For example nuts & raisins, seeds (Flax Seeds), fruits, dairy products etc. I have these foods as a my inter meal snacks.
  • Choosing the right food products that are high in nutrients such as Omega 3, Vitamins, Iron etc.  For Examplewe use Saffola Active cooking Oil as a healthy way of deep fried cooking.

Stress Management

• Anger Management– Every time I feel like I’m losing control on my temper I take to climbing up and down the stairs of the 3 storied building in which I live. Given that I stay in a household with 10 adult members(domestic help included) and 3 kids, the number of rounds varies.
  • Mental Refuge – I have identified not one but two psychological refuges for myself. These are reading and writing. Reading a book or writing my blog posts takes me away from an entire day’s madness. All my stress and worries literally melt away.
What is your way of staying healthy? How do you ensure that a hectic lifestyle does not hamper a healthy lifestyle? Would be glad to hear your story!

I am joining Saffola #ApneTareekeSeHealthy initiative and sharing my ways of being healthy in association with BlogAdda

Aya September 18, 2017 at 8:02 pm

I love how your physical exercises are activities that can be done with your son 🙂 Like how running behind him while he is practising his bike can benefit you physically while also having quality time with him.

I’m also planning to live a healthy lifestyle and I have looked into physical exercises and food to eat but I haven’t thought of how stress could affect one’s health. Thankfully your post included stress management 🙂 Something most people would fail to consider when planning to live healthy

Khushboo September 18, 2017 at 8:54 pm

Wow! Love the way you manage your health. Love the way You have incorporated workout in life without really having to take out a seperate slot for it. Also compensate with a salad is what we do for every unhealthy meal that I eat 🙂

Ophira September 18, 2017 at 10:09 pm

The beauty of life lies in balance. You have captured that beautifully here. A happy mother is one who looks after herself and family. Thankyou for sharing your tips! I am sure mothers out there can take inspiration from this blogpost 😊

Aesha Shah September 18, 2017 at 10:28 pm

writing tops my list too when it comes to de stress techniques. But I am a fitness freak and though I had lost directipon few yeras back, but since the past 2 years I have been pretty regular. I like your idea to take the stairs to relive stress . I am going to do thast when I am frustrated now. Loved that tip.

manveen September 18, 2017 at 11:38 pm

There’s so much that’s detrimental to our health in today’s lifestyle. The points mentioned above are note-worthy. It is the daily life practices that amount to a healthy life in totality. I like writing when I’m under the rut and that helps most.

Rashmichand September 18, 2017 at 11:40 pm

Eating right and balanced is just so important for a healthy life. Today when we are surrounded with junk food, it becomes so difficult to not give in to the temptations. Kudos to you for giving simple ideas to stay fit.

Mommy Tincture September 20, 2017 at 3:36 pm

Thanks Rashmi for dropping by and appreciating !

Obsessivemom September 19, 2017 at 8:17 am

Great tips there. I realise I need to focus on mental well-being. Climbing stairs each time you’re stresses seems like a good strategy with two way benefits :-). Oh and the salad on the day after a heavy meal is a great idea too.

Mommy Tincture September 20, 2017 at 3:37 pm

As I have mentioned earlier also, that all your work out and weight loss plans will work out once you are stress free. Stress adds to your urge to eat more and eat junk

Neha @growingwithnemit September 19, 2017 at 10:45 am

Love the idea of getting healthy by being mindful of what we do the whole day, by running around your tot or dancing in a fun way, these are lovely ideas to lose weight. Also I agree how stress plays a major role in our unhealthy lifestyle. Loved the tips you shared.

Mommy Tincture September 20, 2017 at 3:35 pm

Especially in case of women, whenever we are stressed, we tend to eat more and junk food. Thats why I feel staying stress free is o paramount importance.

Shubhreet Kaur September 19, 2017 at 9:13 pm

Some really valid points and tips. Even i tend to eat junk food very often sometimes and have started becoming more careful now. The one thing I have been doing since I got pregnancy (3 years ago) is eating dinner early. Usually by 7 pm… On weekends its late if we are meeting friends but at least on weekdays we try to adhere to this rule.

Mommy Tincture September 20, 2017 at 3:33 pm

I try and have my dinner by 9 p.m. becoz thats the time when I get free after I have put my elder son to bed. Also I know, if I had my dinner at 7, i would definitely feel hungry by the time I go to sleep. 😉

Deepa September 20, 2017 at 11:22 am

Oh Yes physical activity and healthy eating top the list for me. NO crash diets and no skipping the meals.

Mommy Tincture September 20, 2017 at 3:32 pm

I have skipped my meals throughout my 20s and know now how bad it is for your system.

Cheryl Sterling September 21, 2017 at 6:26 am

When my ids were small, we kicked a ball around the lawn. They loved it, I got excercise. It was a fun way to exercise.

Ritu September 21, 2017 at 6:42 pm Reply