LifeStyle

Menstrual Cups – A Boon to Menstrual Hygiene

MHDay Menstrual Hygiene

Every month ‘during that time’ I often deviate from my otherwise ‘I am proud to be born a woman’ stance. No, it’s not just the PMS that turns me into a touch-me-not live wire, or the cramps that make me want to cut-off my stomach and keep it aside on the shelf for a couple of days. As odd as it may sound, I started feeling extremely guilty of being a woman, after my realization of the fact that in my menstruating lifetime, in order to maintain Menstrual Hygiene, I am going to add atleast 35-40 kgs of personal non-biodegradable waste. But menstrual hygiene can’t be compromised on! After all, gone are the days when the women of previous generation had to rely on primitive ways to manage ‘Those Days’.

But then what is the alternative! In the recent years one particular alternative to the traditional sanitary napkins has gained a lot of popularity. All these years, I have had my reservations about this new-thing-in-the-market. But lately, overcome by my guilt of already having creating almost 15-20 kgs of non-biodegradable waste I resolved to try out the alternative.

As you might have guessed by now, the alternative that I am talking about is ‘Menstrual Cups’.

Menstrual Cups for Menstrual Hygiene

After some research and personal experience, here’s everything you need to know about this leap jump product for menstrual hygiene.

What is a Menstrual Cup?

A Menstrual Cup is a bell shaped container that fits in your appropriate parts without adding any discomfort. The discharge is collected in this cup and lasts upto 12 hours with no fear of leakage.

About DEA Corp Menstrual Cup

1. The DEA Corp Menstrual Cup is made with medical grade silicon in 2 sizes.
  2. The Type 1 cup is smaller in size and is meant for pre-delivery life stage. The type 2 cup is a bigger size specifically designed for post-delivery life stage.
  3. The cup comes with an illustrious manual to help insertion, removal, cleaning and maintenance.
  4. The life of one DEA Corp Menstrual Cup is a minimum of 10 years and with proper upkeep can last upto 30 years.
  5. It comes with a cotton bag that helps in proper storage of the cup when not in use.

Why Use Menstrual Cup for Menstrual Hygiene?

• Using a menstrual cup is a responsible thing to do. You cut down on your personal contribution to plastic waste that may take upto 400 years to degrade naturally.
  • This wonder item saves you money . A LOT OF MONEY! Calculate the amount you spend on your monthly supply of sanitary napkins. Multiply that amount by 12 (for 12 months in a year) and then by 30 (average menstruating cycle). For me the amount came to a whopping amount over a lac rupees. A menstruating cup will cost you a couple of thousand rupees and lasts you atleast 10 years. Imagine the amount of money you’d be saving.
  • Hygiene Aspects –
    1. It helps maintain the pH level of your private body parts.
    2. A menstrual cup lasts upto 12 hours without any discomfort or fear of staining.
    3. It does not cause any discomfort or dryness or itchiness as is experienced during use of other products of personal hygiene.
  • Most women struggle to get themselves through ‘The Days’ and often procrastinate their plans relating to travel, work-outs, swimming and dancing. A menstrual cup being leakage proof and extremely comfortable, enables you to take up all these activities with full ardor.

About DEA Corp

Dea Corp, the manufacturer of menstrual cups was founded in the year 2016 by a young maverick Amol Prakash Mane. Inspired by the concept of Make in India, his vision was to promote and contribute in menstrual hygiene through launching eco-friendly menstrual cups. Based out of Vapi in Gujarat, the brand contributes to the initiative of Swachh Bharat Abhiyan through providing menstrual hygiene and awareness among school and college going girls and ladies.

DEA Corp along with its team of social activists and NGOs aims to spread awareness and educate young girls and women through on-ground activities; by visiting schools and participating in women exhibitions. After setting a niche in Vapi, Gujarat, the brand is further planning to tap next important markets by expanding in cities like Surat, Vadodara, Rajkot, Ahmedabad and Jamnagar. Girls and young ladies can easily grab the products by placing an order on http://deacorp.in/.

This World Menstrual Hygiene Day, our endeavor should be to break the taboo that engulfs this natural phenomenon that is the basis of very existence of human life on earth. I would like to thank the 12 wonderful ladies who have stepped forward to express themselves this #WorldMenstruationDay and stress on the fact that there are #NoMoreLimits for a woman anymore.  You may read their posts in the linky below.

But wait there’s more! Comment below and tell us about a #NoMoreLimits experience. It could be about you or an incident you were a witness to. The best comment will win a DEA Corp Menstrual Cup worth Rs. 2500/-. The contest  closes on 1st June, 2018

Disclaimer: This is a sponsored post, but the views are independent observations of the blogger based on personal experience.

Let’s talk about Menstruation – The life and times of a mom May 27, 2018 at 11:46 am

[…] more. You stand a chance to win a DEA Corp Menstrual Cup worth Rs.2500/-.You just have to visit http://www.mommytincture.com/2018/05/27/menstrual-cups-boon-menstrual-hygiene/ and leave a comment about your […]

From Cloth to Cloth Pads- My Menstrual Hygiene Learning Curve – The Reluctant Mom.Maitri May 27, 2018 at 1:14 pm

[…] more! You stand a chance to win a DEA Corp Menstrual Cup worth Rs. 2500/-. You just have to visit http://www.mommytincture.com/2018/05/27/menstrual-cups-boon-menstrual-hygiene/ and leave a comment about your #NoMoreLimits […]

The unsaid reality of Menstruation! - Life, my way May 28, 2018 at 12:29 am

[…] more! You stand a chance to win a DEA Corp Menstrual Cup worth Rs. 2500/-. You just have to visit http://www.mommytincture.com/2018/05/27/menstrual-cups-boon-menstrual-hygiene/ and leave a comment about your #NoMoreLimits […]

HYGIENE IS A RIGHT. PERIOD. – CRAVE TO CARVE May 28, 2018 at 3:31 am

Taboos of Menstruation – M2M May 28, 2018 at 10:06 am

[…] http://www.mommytincture.com/2018/05/27/menstrual-cups-boon-menstrual-hygiene/#more-2095  and leave a comment about your #NoMoreLimits experience. (Indian Residents only) […]

World Menstrual Hygiene Day - No Shame Periods May 28, 2018 at 12:36 pm

[…] more! You stand a chance to win a DEA Corp Menstrual Cup worth Rs. 2500/-. You just have to visit http://www.mommytincture.com/2018/05/27/menstrual-cups-boon-menstrual-hygiene/ and leave a comment about your #NoMoreLimits […]

#WorldMenstrualHygieneDay: Interesting Taboo Stories From My Past – Books. Babies. And. More. May 28, 2018 at 3:02 pm

Bhawna Shah May 28, 2018 at 7:01 pm

The menstrual cycle is like a”Don’t talk about this “topic for me when I was down for the first time and everybody try to educate me how to fold the cloth and need to wear nylon based panties which are stain proof. I can’t forget one advice which was given to me when I was in 7th standard, use polythene cutting between the stack of clothes. I did it because it was given by an elder.
I have been faced weird moments at my inlaws place when the date of my menstrual cycle was spread in between all the males.
During my school time, I used to commute by bicycle and I was down when I was cycling, unfortunately, my cycle got punctured and my white dress has patches of red marks… I ride my punctured cycle for over 3 kms. That was the most painful moment of my Menstrual period.

Disha May 29, 2018 at 12:26 pm

Wow, thats a huge amount of waste getting created. It is very nobel cause that you are encouraging eco-friendly alternative to sanitary pads. I just hope that they can be more economical so more people can buy it. And, we need to edcuate the masses a lot about it.

priyadarshani Panda May 29, 2018 at 3:56 pm

off late when i planned to switch to cloth diaper for my baby i realised the fact that even i need to make a switch i have still not come in terms with the feeling of inserting the cup but i would love to give it a try.

Neha Mani Mishra May 29, 2018 at 4:03 pm

I was very apprehensive about using Menstrual cups. In fact, I still am. but this post cleared a lot of my doubts and am more than willing to try a menstrual cup.

Siddhi Palande May 29, 2018 at 5:30 pm

Who’s! That’s educational post there. I hadn’t a clue about menstrual cups.

Maitri May 29, 2018 at 10:39 pm

Menstrual cups are the sustainable way to go but what about TSS?

Sharvari Paivaidya Mehan May 30, 2018 at 2:32 am

Menstrual cups are the way moving forward. This is a super initiative to bring awareness on menstrual health and hygiene

Rhea May 30, 2018 at 7:17 am

Have always been intrigued by the idea of using Mentrual cups, from the time they came out… such a great sustainable way to tide over those 5 days of the month.Although still a bit skeptic to use but your post definitely cleared lot of questions I had in mind.Will surely give it a go soon.

Pooja Kawatra May 30, 2018 at 9:30 am

I have been hearing about Menstrual cups but a bit skeptical with a thought of inserting it and how safe it is for our body. You have cleared few of my doubts.

Sayeri May 30, 2018 at 12:00 pm

I have heard about the menstrual cup but I was not confident. After your post, I think I should start using it. From the beginning, I have a heavy flow for first two days and many times I have got red spots on my cloth. One incident I couldn’t forget ever, it was my college days and we had a group, maximum were boys there. We were going to collect our practical copy from an institute. It was my 2nd day and I bleed heavily. We supposed to get down from the auto and as usual, I just asked my friend (who was a girl) to check my back. It was a mess. There was blood all over the seat. All the boys have seen that even the auto driver too. By mistake I took the back side of the pad and nothing was absorbed. It was the most awkward situation of my life.
So dont be shy with your period. Talk about it, make it a no shame period with #NoMoreLimits

Yogita Amit Joshi May 30, 2018 at 12:18 pm

Menstrual Cups are always something i thought of trying but cant move forward.. Your post is quite amazing and answer my lots of queries.

If i was about to talk about my #NoMoreLimits experience i will start after marriage only.. After marriage my MIL told me to follow isolation during periods and it make me feel awkward neither we sisters nor my bhabhis faced this at my moms place.

First time, i have no option but to follow but before my 2nd time flow in my sasural, i clearly mentioned that either let me live my life without any limitations or i will not let them know i m on my periods..

There was no option left for them but to agree.. I just dont want to get limitations on my daily chores just because my body is cleaning…

Now i do whatever i want even during mensturation.

Neha May 30, 2018 at 12:31 pm

I have been reading a lot about menustral cups and was thinking about trying them. Thanks to such a detailed post, you have clarified a lot of doubts for me.

Sharvari Paivaidya Mehan May 30, 2018 at 3:21 pm

I need to try menstrual cup which is the more environmentally friendly way and hygienic method during menstruation. We must need to create awareness and spread the word to the youth

Sinduja May 30, 2018 at 4:49 pm

This has been one of the most needed blog trains in a while. The stigma and the taboos around menstruation has to stop and more awareness is needed for sustainable options to use during menstruation. Hoping to try DEA corp soon and review it on my blog as well

Kinshoo May 31, 2018 at 2:19 am

That’s quite an information. Though I can’t make up my mind to insert something inside .. your post might make me try.. for the sake of saving earth.

Deepa May 31, 2018 at 8:51 am

I have heard a lot about menstrual cups lately but never tried. But would surely love to know more about them and try.

Vidhi Duggal May 31, 2018 at 8:57 am

A very informative and useful post. Times have changed and we must contribute towards saving our environment. It is a good initiative in that direction.

Anchal May 31, 2018 at 12:57 pm

I have heard a lot about menstrual cups but haven had the courage to try them. This seems to be revolutionary.

Makenzie May 31, 2018 at 5:35 pm

I just switched over to a cup and it’s definitely taking some getting use to, but I definitely love the concept of it!

Surbhi Mahobia June 1, 2018 at 1:43 am

I have shifted to cloth pads and next step is to move to menstrual cup. But first getting it right with the cloth pads is important for me personally. I will be giving cups a try very soon.

Elina Dawoodani June 1, 2018 at 3:21 am

I’ve heard so much about cups but have been always apprehensive about using them, This inspires me to give it a try

Gunjan June 1, 2018 at 5:04 pm

That’s such a well written post. I have heard a lot about m cups. So wish to try them now

Cheni Adukia June 1, 2018 at 11:40 pm

Thbaks for sharing, it’s very important to talk about women hygiene and the products that are avialable to make it easy and comfortable for us.

Kavitha June 5, 2018 at 12:18 am

I’ve been a proud menstrual cup user since 4 years. Menstrual life at its best 😍🙏

luna August 13, 2018 at 1:49 pm

Thanks for sharing that type of good content.