Stories

The Moon Walking Bellman – #WriteBravely

The Moon Walking Bellman

Top post on IndiBlogger, the biggest community of Indian Bloggers

Sagar stood behind the counter struggling to control his urge to yawn. It was just two days in this job and he was dead bored.

God! What am I going to do here?

But then he knew that he needed this job, because his meat shop owner father had refused to give him any allowances going further. His old man had coerced him into this job of a bellman at a reputed hotel where he had been supplying meat for years. This was the first time, he had used his contacts for personal favors, and Sagar did not have the guts to go against his father’s will. But the question remained,

What am I going to do here? My talent holds no value in this job. Am I doomed for life?

The 20 year old, skinny Sagar hurried as the bell rang and he realized that it was his turn to receive the guests’ luggage. Even though he found the job to be extremely mundane, he tried to remain as cheerful as possible. But that did nothing to placate his restless spirit. He wanted to dance. He knew he was a good dancer, but he also knew that the likes of him from tiny hill stations as his, could not afford to go to fancy dance academies in big cities where they were caught and taught young. And that’s the   precise reason why he gave in to his dad’s whims to get this job.

A week into the job, Sagar stifled from not dancing. That day when he received his first call to receive the guests, he pulled the trolley by its pole and turned his back towards the entrance, he slid his front foot backwards past his tip toed back foot. And then again glided his current front foot backwards past the tip-toed back foot and then repeated the same thing again, and then again.

The manager at the front desk was taken off guard when he realized what Sagar was doing. He was baffled as he looked up at Sagar’s lean structure, his creamy teeth peeping out of his dark face. His gaze moved down to Sagar’s feet again and saw him doing the smoothest moonwalk he had ever seen.  On instinct he turned to check the guests, fearing that they may be annoyed. But no, the parent couple with two kids not more than 10 years of age looked on in delight. They complimented him for the amazing moon-walk as he lifted their luggage and put it into the trolley.

Two days later when the family checked out of the hotel they asked for the same bellman who had received them. Sagar refused the tip that they offered but told them that he was glad that they liked his moves.

It’s been a year since that first moonwalk with the trolley. Today Sagar has become the USP of the hotel. Guests come and refuse to unload their luggage from their cars until they have ‘The Moon Walking Bellman’. The hotel charges a premium from guests to avail his services. Ofcourse, Sagar too has improvised his moves. He now also twirls around the poles of the trolley in different dancing postures as his guests watch in delight.

And then one day, Shiamak Dawar visited the hotel.

This post is a part of the #WriteBravely Write Tribe Festival of Words

Write Tribe

The prompt for the day is –

“In every job that must be done, there is an element of fun. You find the fun and snap – the job’s a game”– Mary Poppins

Read more stories  in fiction section here.

akshata June 25, 2018 at 8:25 am

That was an innovative way of making his mundane job exciting and luck played on his side too

Bhagyashree June 25, 2018 at 8:58 am

This reminds me of the proverb,’Where there is a will, there is a way’. So Sagar did what he really wanted to do. Good for him

Ness June 25, 2018 at 9:02 am

I really enjoyed the story. I could just picture Sagar moonwalking. Great take on the prompt.

Balaka Basu June 25, 2018 at 10:31 am

Beautiful and positive story. The sentences were so visual that I could almost watch him dance.

Geethica Mehra June 25, 2018 at 10:47 am

This is so true and has happened to me many times. There are so many house chores to finish until I sit on my laptop for work. But then I train myself to just finish off things. This will give me more time for my favourite things.

Suzy June 25, 2018 at 1:51 pm

I enjoyed this story. Would be so entertaining to see a bellman like Sagar. btw Shiamak Davar was a couple of years junior to me in school. I never thought he would make it so big on the dance scene.

Vartika Gakhar June 25, 2018 at 2:28 pm

wow, loved this one. I can visualise things happening in front of my eyes, great narration!

Priya June 25, 2018 at 2:44 pm

Beautiful! Simple lesson, find the fun in the most mundane job or chores.

Very interesting story!

Mayuri Nidigallu June 25, 2018 at 3:06 pm

What a delightful take on the prompt, Anupriya! Your words made me imagine Sagar dancing his way through the corridors. Loved this read!

P:S: Anupriya, do add share share buttons to your blog, please.

Esha M Dutta June 25, 2018 at 6:04 pm

Loved the story, Anupriya. I can see where Sagar is coming from. But the fact that he can find some way to liven things up at his job tells me that when we seek to find a solution, we will always find a way out of the rut. I can see how this works as a great incentive for him and works as a great way of retaining him too.

Corinne Rodrigues June 25, 2018 at 6:22 pm

Oh I love this, Anupriya! You managed to have me visualizing the whole scene.

Rashmi June 25, 2018 at 7:28 pm

Wow! This is so amazing! I am so happy for Sagar 🙂 How many of us haven’t been in Sagar’s shoes before? But the way he had found to make the most of his time, is so inspiring! I loved this story! Superb!

Sunita Saldhana June 25, 2018 at 11:28 pm

Very nice. I was wondering how it would end.

Shilpa Garg June 26, 2018 at 8:17 am

Aha! That’s such a lovely and uplifting story and a great take on the prompt. Loved the imagery your words created 🙂