Stories

6 Ways How My Younger Sister Makes Me Awesome

Younger Sister

I am often quoted mentioning one aspect of my childhood that makes for the very DNA of who I am today. And that is that my younger sister and I grew up in a typical middle class household where we never faced any paucity of resources that were required for our growth and learning, yet there never ever wa a penny extra for any kind of splurging. Yet we had a fun filled childhood, with frequent weekend road trips to nearby getaways  from Chandigarh, hours of cycling within our gated society and eons of hours spent playing indoor board games. And one person who has remained constant and played a vital role in maing my life fun-filled and worth remembering is my younger sister, Supriya.

As I reflect on my life today, I release that her role in shaping me up has been beyond the bouts of fun and fights that we lived through in our early life. So here’s an ode to my little sister, who I think has played a vital role in shaping me into who I am today –

Makes Me Be Better At Myself

I am five years older than my younger sister.  Ever since she was born, the general social thread around me kept me extremely aware of the fact how I was supposed to act all responsible all the times. I was ‘Big’ the moment my younger sister was born. And I took my role as the elder sister a tad too seriously, and became my mom’s right hand when it came to taking care of her. I would baby sit her as my mom went around doing the home chores. Once school started, I would wake up at the drop of the alarm bell that had been installed in ‘Our Room’, wake my sister up, help her through the morning ablutions and get her up and ready along with me while ‘Mamma’ got our breakfast and lunch boxes ready.

That was during the very initial years. Later in our life, it turned out that my sister had much better planning skills and never struggled with completing her homework, setting up her bag according to her time-table, working on her projects etc. I was always a fire-fighter (like even today – its 4.30 a.m. in the morning and I am typing my way through glory to get this post up within the day). Her skills at time-management started growing up on me and as a teenager I began to observe her closely on how she went about her day. Many years later she mentioned that the way she saw me always struggling to reach the finish line, she did all those things the exact opposite and sailed through. I still have a frown on my face, when I see her snorting face while she made this confession.

Sibling Stories

Turned Me into a Story Teller

I guess the ‘keeda’ for telling stories got into me while I was baby-sitting my kid sister. Coming to reflect on our childhood, I now remember that I would keep my little sister engaged by re-telling her all the stories, I learnt at school.  As we grew up, the story telling sessions went a step ahead and I would narrate to her movies with dialogues verbatim. As ridiculous as it may sound now, I must have retold her certain (Salman Khan starrer) movie script with dialogues atleast a dozen of times. While we lay on the terrace of our paternal grandparents home, gazing at the star lit night sky, that was our favorite time pass.

Not to forget that horrendous phase of my life when I had my first heart break (thinking about it now only makes my laugh in ridicule at myself, but back then when I was still only twenty, and in reality it was only a crush on a friend, which I took way too seriously). I didn’t really know what to do with my bleeding heart, because obviously my parents had no idea and I’d rather keep it that way. So I turned into a philosopher and story teller, speaking out my hurt through stories about myself (with changed names ofcourse) and no awards to guess who was at the receiving end of these torturous story telling sessions.

Younger sister

My gateway to fun in Life

As the elder sibling, I was usually expected to act all responsible (what is it with our social thread anyway!). And I had a tough time, finding myself because even today expectations from near and dear ones generally weigh heavy on my conscience. But it was my sister, who often pulled me out of the dungeons by playing her ‘Make thy sister guilty’ card for not spending enough time with her. While I struggled with my homework, she would just play a song and demand that we dance on it. Playing antakshari was almost a regular affair at the bed, because she had a problem falling asleep.

Till the time, I was at home (i.e. the first 22 years of my life) even during graduation, I was not allowed to go out for movies with friends (perks of having two disciplinarians for parents). My only escape was my younger sister. We were both allowed to go out for movies only with each other.

On other occasions, she would simply shut the door to our room and play some loud music so that we could dance to the latest peppy songs freely away from the scrutinizing eyes of our parents. I think those were the most carefree and fun moments in my life.

Turned Me Into A Braveheart

In one particular situation (ok, a pressing matter relating to my younger sister’s marriage) all we four members of our family were at loggerheads with each other. My sister wanted to marry a guy of her choice and my parents (specifically my father) were likely to go ballistic at the prospect. And I seriously didn’t want my father to be upset. After initial spiteful conversations with my sister, I realised that she was not going to change her mind. Having understood that, I made up my mind in her favor and for the first time in my life, I was standing face-to-face with my father trying to reason out with him and look at the larger picture (the one that projected his daughter’s happiness). Although many factors played cupid, but I remain proud of the stand I finally took and the role I played in convincing my parents to turn their decision in my sister’s favor.

Gave Me The Courage To Dream

I must say that I am really lucky to have an extremely balanced person with her feet on the ground as my sister. Yet my younger sister is the one who propels my risk taking abilities and pushes me to pursue my dreams. Had it not been for her, I would never be writing so much, after I left my job. Her encouragement went ahead so far so as to push me into writing a 60k word story. And once I had written it, and was contemplating about what to do with it, it was only for her that I got it evaluated by a couple of people to seek feedback and go ahead with my decision to publish it. While this will happen soon,  I also realize that had it not been for my younger sister, I would never have the courage to come out in the public with my work.

Siblings are for Keeps

Due to the age difference, my sister and I have always been in different phases of our lives. When she came to primary school, I had already moved to senior school. When she came to senior school, I was already preparing to go to college. She was still completing her studies, when I had moved away from home. Similarly later in life, when she got married, I was already a mother. I feel that we have always been distanced by this difference in the phase of our life that we were dealing with. Yet, now that we are both over our 30s, life seems to be bringing us back together, and despite the distance and age difference my sister is the awesomest Massi that my kids could get and the first person I fall back on for any help or advise that I need to deal with the crises in my life.

Younger Sister

I thank Nehal Roy who blogs at , for introducing me. Also, I would like to introduce the next blogger of #SiblingStories Nimmi Joseph, whose blog is . I am sure you will like the sibling tales they have shared.

#SiblingStories Blog Train is hosted by Ila Varma and sponsored by the brand Ang-tatva. 32 other esteemed bloggers from blogging fraternity have joined hands to participate in the Blog train for #SiblingTalk taking a trip down memory lane and reliving the bitter-sweet moments spent with their siblings.

You may also want to read The Benefits Of Cheering Others

Supriya Gupta October 17, 2018 at 12:12 pm

Though, I am not going to say Thank You 😉 But I loved every bit of the blog post, it took me on the voyage of our childhood… Love you to the moon and back, to infinity and beyond 😘❣️

Sonia batra October 17, 2018 at 12:31 pm

God bless both of you

Bhavna Kaushik October 17, 2018 at 2:39 pm

I never had a sister but yes an awesome brother. While reading your post I am missing him so much more.
I have read so many posts about #SiblingLove but this was the one I connected instantly… Oh! I remember I used to make up stories at bedtime to make him sleep, I was such a silent sober kid but if anybody used to bully him I used to turn into a lioness …
Again, Lovely post, Anupriya <3

Suhasini October 17, 2018 at 4:25 pm

Good one and made me wish that I should have had a sister for me too.

Jheelam October 17, 2018 at 10:27 pm

Oh I can so relate with this post. I’ve an elder sister and she is the apex of my universe. Sisters are blessings indeed. 🙂

Nimmy Joseph October 18, 2018 at 1:02 am

I totally agree. Also, I see my elder sister as my role model.

Neha Tambe October 18, 2018 at 7:44 am

Lovely post! You reminded me of my sister. Though she is born lazy, she does manage to get things done on time and has her own way of time management.

Mayuri Nidigallu October 18, 2018 at 12:38 pm

As someone who is an elder sister to a younger one, I so resonated with your post, Anupriya. It is warm, it is fun and it tells us what a wonderful relationship you both have. Wishing you both happiness always!

s October 18, 2018 at 5:00 pm

Its a lovely sweet post & enjoyed reading each moment of your childhood moments. Wish you both a happy life & strong bond always

Ghazala Naseem October 20, 2018 at 6:56 pm

Nice post , I also have a younger sis and could co-relate with what you have written , Sister bonding & supporting each other at decision making time .

Priya October 21, 2018 at 10:07 am

Beautifully narrated. I share the same bond with my sister except that I am the younger one.
It took me down the memory lane.
Loved the post.

Nehal Roy October 22, 2018 at 12:09 am

Great thoughts shared by you dear. Sisters are blessings. Though i dont have a real sis, but cousins are more than that. They are always there with you. Wonderful relationship you shared. Loved reading it.

Kalpana Manivannan October 22, 2018 at 9:59 pm

Such a sweet post. Having a sister is a blessing and your post exemplifies it. Stay blessed always,

Alpana Deo October 24, 2018 at 1:52 am

I have one sister who is 4 years elder to me. She has always been my comfort zone. I see my friend and guide in her.

#Sibilngstories #Siblingtalks

Arvind Passey October 26, 2018 at 11:32 am

A charming post with relevant reasons why siblings matter so much. Loved going through the six points.

Arvind Passey

Vasantha Vivek October 26, 2018 at 2:09 pm

Loved your memories of your little sister. true that my younger ones made me also a storyteller.

The Mad World of Crazy Siblings! #SiblingStories – My Blog October 27, 2018 at 4:56 pm

[…] Trivedi Neha Tambe Prerna Wahi Vidya Sury Ghazala Naseem Guest Post Nehal Roy Anupriya Nimmy Joseph Bhawna Shah  Bushra Nausheen Ila […]

Vartika Gakhar October 29, 2018 at 9:30 am

Refreshing post. I always wanted to have a younger sister, though I have a baby brother who is life. I could relate to this post so much as he has always been a pillar to me.

Gurjeet Chhabra October 29, 2018 at 11:18 am

lol, your keda of storytelling is now helping you out to write a blog in very good manner

Paresh Godhwani November 1, 2018 at 8:31 am

Love the story of Anupriya and Supriya and how she helped you in becoming the story teller. May God make this bond stronger and stronger.

Prerna wahi November 1, 2018 at 11:46 am

I’m an elder sister as well and could so relate to your post. It’s a heartfelt account and very well written!

Shivani November 1, 2018 at 2:01 pm

Beautiful. I was overwhelmed. Having a sister is the most wonderful thing that can happen to you. Loved the post

The Mad World of Crazy Siblings! #SiblingStories – Keep Smiling !! November 7, 2018 at 2:03 pm

[…]  Shipra Trivedi Neha Tambe Prerna Wahi   Vidya Sury Ghazala Naseem Guest Post Nehal Roy Anupriya Nimmy Joseph Bhawna Shah    Bushra Nausheen Ila […]

Princy Khurana November 10, 2018 at 6:27 pm

i remember crying when my brother was born, as i always wanted a sister. hahaha, but now i would not want to trade the relationship with him ! great post

Sweta November 11, 2018 at 2:43 pm

Very refreshing. Loved reading it. Nicely penned.

Monika November 11, 2018 at 8:02 pm

Good to know that you convinced your dad for your sister. Lovely post.

Priyal November 11, 2018 at 8:50 pm

Loved your post, though I don’t have own sister but my cousin sister more then as an own sister, she is my role model

Snehalata Jain November 13, 2018 at 4:01 pm

I too have a younger sister and share a great bond.U have described your story in a wonderful way.

Judy November 14, 2018 at 6:50 pm

So since your sister in a way made you the awesome story teller you are today I think you owe her one big bear hug. DOn’t you. Keep up with lovely sister bond

Jenifer Sayyed November 14, 2018 at 10:06 pm

wow.I enjoyed reading it and all the 6ways are so true. Stay blessed

MeenalSonal November 15, 2018 at 5:29 pm

Anupriya, you played a perfect elder sister. Yes many times elders become more protective towards younger ones. I liked you also learnt a lot from your sister.

Cheers
MeenalSonal from AuraOfThoughts

Directingdreams November 16, 2018 at 3:51 pm

Beautiful post.. indeed siblings brings the best out of us. Love the way u expressed. Love it.

Yogita

Ishieta November 20, 2018 at 3:30 pm

What a beautiful post! and kudos for having written it at 4:30 in the morning! That is some perseverance, and I am sure, you are from whom your sister learnt to persevere and has turned it into excellent time/task management skills! 🙂