Kid Humor

Superpowers I would like to get in 2019 – Naah! A Long Shrug Would Suffice

Long Shrug Superwoman

I have never been too much of a fashion or trends buff, comfort invariably taking precedence over style. But once in a while, I do like to buy stuff that promises to be comfortable, and add to my swag. One such garment I bought this winters was a long shrug.

That day, I put my olive green shrug on, and nodded in approval at the reflection in the mirror.  I was completely satisfied with the suave look it gave me over my black trousers and tank top. Well my time to admire myself was now up. I immediately jumped into action, packing stuff for the kids. I was to drive them down for stage rehearsals for the annual winter carnival. Costume check –Jackets check – Snacks check – Water Bottles check – My Sanity check.

Sanity, because when you are to drive the kids 20 kilometers into the city, you may as well be prepared for a tryst with madness, restlessness, displeasure over being stuck in a closed cramped car amidst the traffic and not to forget the sibling tiffs over something so significant as ‘Your pack has more chips than mine’.

I put the kids in the rear, stuffed the boot box with the essentials and braced myself up. But as I flipped my shrug around in one direction and took the driver seat, I felt something different. I felt more confident and more in control. Why? Now that was beyond my comprehension. To my utter surprise the drive was super smooth and I was really happy with myself. I suspected it had something to do with the surge of confidence I had felt earlier. But I couldn’t really put my finger on it.

As I pushed the kids in to the premises of the open amphitheatre and passed on their custody to their instructor, I heaved a sigh of relief and turned around to see if there was a coffee vendor somewhere to help me deal with the evening ahead. Ahh! There at the other corner of the atrium I spotted the source of my Nirvaana. As I turned around, swishing my hair from over one shoulder to another, something caught my eye. And the sight stirred my conscious.  And I suddenly figured what the source of my confidence throughout the evening had been.

As I continued to walk ahead, my eyes fixated on my reflection in the glass panes that encircled as the walls of the atrium, I took in a sharp breath and noticed the long shrug, lacerating the air behind me. It made me look almost like a superwoman with a cape.  Confidence and determination oozed out of every inch of me as I whizzed past with a Tote bag resting at the joint of my arm.

I wonder if it’s as simple as that. Do I really need any other superpower? Or maybe a cape would do the magic every time…

P.S. – This new year I am going to keep the long shrug close and act all superwoman like. What’s that one thing that you would keep close to feel like you had some superpower?

This blog train is hosted by www.prernawahi.com, www.vartikasdiary.com and  www.mothersgurukul.com, sponsored by Pandora’s Box and Recipe Dabba

Mayuri Nidigallu January 23, 2019 at 2:42 pm

Such a beautiful post and refreshing take on the prompt, Anupriya. You’ve tempted me into go looking for a shrug at the earliest. Hope this honest ad heartfelt post makes you win the contest!

Neha January 23, 2019 at 5:13 pm

This was a nice take on the prompt. I agree at times all you need is some motivation and that can be a shrug or a dash of red lipstick.

Sonia Chatterjee January 23, 2019 at 11:37 pm

I see a new you, one who has evolved like fine wine and keeps getting better with time. Couldn’t stop smiling throughout the post and today I know the secret of this superwoman who’s going places now.

Mahati ramya adivishnu January 24, 2019 at 7:12 am

Ha ha.. confidence is in the mind. Why we need a Cape when we can use long shrug instead 🙂 agree with you.

Shipra Trivedi January 24, 2019 at 11:48 am

All I can say “Can I borrow your shrug for some time?” I also wish to feel the confidence that comes when you wear that. I need it to learn better driving which is making me mad these days!!

Roopali kadam January 24, 2019 at 12:00 pm

Absolutely delight for the readers. Enjoyed reading more about the shrug..

Surbhi Prapanna January 24, 2019 at 1:16 pm

such a unique response on prompt and as usual the excellent write up. indeed we all mothers need powers to handle multiple responsibilities. I enjoyed reading this post too much.

Maya Bhat January 24, 2019 at 4:36 pm

No, you don’t need any more superpowers. You are already a superwoman. Keep rocking 🙂 I loved the way to describe the whole thought.

Vartika January 24, 2019 at 5:15 pm

What a unique take on the prompt, Anu. I agree that sometimes it could be a shrug, or a new haircut or just a sassy lipstick to enliven your spirits. And, BTW I love shrugs 😉 Thanks for being a part of this blog train.

Anagha Yatin January 24, 2019 at 5:30 pm

Manning two kids in the confines of the car, while negotiating busy streets, does need a special set of super power. I am sure the cape turned out to be a talisman for you. Real superpower is already inside, sometimes sleeping like Kumbhakarna, sometimes locked by our own thoughts and sometimes just having a field day!!
Very heartening post Anupriya, reminding me that I need to buy a cape to beguile that ever elusive superpower trapped in frame of my body 🙂

Arvind Passey January 24, 2019 at 6:17 pm

Now this is what even my instructor at the Indian Military Academy would have called JOSH! Love it. Zip along… you’re on the right track! 🙂

Sonam Sahid Khan January 24, 2019 at 7:49 pm

Love the shrug making you feel super. Well, that’s a great idea t feel more comfy and stylish.

Alpana Deo January 25, 2019 at 1:41 am

Wow. That is an outstanding write-up. You brought the entire scene to life through your writing. Next time I wear a shrug, it surely going to remind me of your shrug.

saba ladha January 25, 2019 at 6:15 am

Lol! Nice to read! I was wondering till last what you’ve added or subtracted that gave you this feeling. Nice and interesting post

Praggatti rao January 25, 2019 at 2:34 pm

Wow, what a thought!
Actually confidence can be this simple. Great reminder to cherish small stuff than fuss over so much

Pragnya Mishra January 26, 2019 at 4:41 pm

Now I want to dig out an outfit or shrug that gives me this confidence and sanity. Loved you take on the prompt. You are already a superwoman.

Prerna wahi January 28, 2019 at 10:43 am

I loved your fresh and interesting take on the prompt and am so tempted to get myself a shrug (read superwoman cape) at the earliest. The thing I would like to have is a magic pen that could translate all my ideas quickly into words! Let’s hope some day that comes true!

ujjwal mishra January 28, 2019 at 12:39 pm

amazing, let me find my shrug now 🙂 the flow of your writing is just so mesmerizing that i didnt even realize when it got over. very entertaining.

Shivani January 28, 2019 at 2:02 pm

Wonderful. That’s a most refreshing take. A lot of what we think is in our mind and sometimes all it takes is a twirl…of a shrug

Rohan January 28, 2019 at 2:37 pm

Such a lovely and heart warming post, Anupriya. I feel all the parents need such inner strength in the form of a superpower to handle multiple things in their life along with kids.

Ila Varma January 28, 2019 at 3:00 pm

I love Shrugs and your take on the Shrug has made it more popular and more will go for it to bag in more confidence.
#nyr2019 #newyear_blogtrain

Sudeept January 30, 2019 at 12:43 am

‘Not all Superheroes wear capes’, as they say. Some prefer a shrug instead 😉

It was such a feel-good write-up. Thumbs up!

Disha January 30, 2019 at 1:45 am

The shrug became the symbol of confidence. Loved your narrative style!

keerthana January 30, 2019 at 2:04 am

What a refreshing post this is!! Wonderful take on the prompt!! I love your creativity in writing !!

Dimple January 30, 2019 at 7:32 pm

Loved reading your post. So much confidence and positivity.

Shrilekha Joshi January 30, 2019 at 8:08 pm

All mommies are superpowers! Your story telling abilities are hats off..I was left wanting for more story..but soon it was the end…looking for more some other time

Varsha Nitin Gode January 30, 2019 at 8:24 pm

This one is a great approach anything can add that confidence or boost to our lives. I’m glad there’s a shrug which makes you feel like a cape with superpowers. I have a favorite shrug as well.
#vigorousreads #blogtrain #NYR2019 #Newyear_bloghop

Shahnila Hassan January 31, 2019 at 12:24 am

Very positive and confident

JayanthyGovindarajan (@JayanthyG) February 1, 2019 at 7:59 am

Such a wonderful post this is Anu! I love the way your words flow. I am getting a long shrug!! 😛

Alka Mishra February 3, 2019 at 4:14 pm

Magical words. Very beautifully written . Happy reading and inspiring one .

Rashmi Karhtik February 3, 2019 at 4:34 pm

Ah confident mommy- good job! So it’s clear you don’t need any super power when confidence is all you 🙂 Loved the way you described your reflection with your long olive shrug. Can I borrow that one please 😛